Friday 6 November 2009

Rugby Montage

A Montage is a technique of combining a single composition from various elements and environments; so photographs of stills or video clips blending together from different sources to give the illusion that the elements belonged together originally.

Using an effect such a montage in your work is very beneficial as it's a series of images relating to one another, so manages showing the audience a lot more than if they were looking at a single image.

Movie makers also use this, sometimes as a juxtaposition to superinpose several shots to create one image. It would tend to be at a "action/rushed" part of the film, to show the quick pace of the characters and their surroundings.

I found an awesome Snowbaord Montage on You Tube, where the makers have combined a series of video shots over a track and in some places- some audio, (you can hear them hitting the ice/ shouting etc). I like the way they've used different locations/ Night and day, Fish eye Lens and different angles to create some effective and impressive shots and makes the montage a lot more enjoyable to watch.



Our overall aim was to create a montage with an understanding of relative and combined images, preferbly made up of stills and video recordings. I was happy with my final piece, but disappointed as i could not upload the video recordings i had done earlier in the week.

I chose to take photos when i went to see Bath play Saracens in Bath's Rugby Ground. I shot the stadium when no-one was there as i wanted comparison and the idea of people coming together. I wanted to show the rush, excitement and tension in the game.

My vision was to start the montage slowly and quietly, with shots of the Rugby stadium empty; almost eery, building the music in the background until the beat of the music kicks in and the shots form quicker to the beat. I decided to use "The foals Two steps, Twice" for my piece of music as i thought it went perfectly with the images, rhythm and overall ambience of the piece.

Racheals Montage from Rachel Sowden on Vimeo.



I will be uploading some more footage to this piece as I also want to show how the final product would benefit with video shots in it.

1 comment:

  1. I really like this montage, I feel that you documented the match really well from having the player comming onto the pitch and then action shots from the game. Also liked how the montage fished with the sound of the crowd cheering and then with the original shot of the empty pitch shows what it would like after the match. The only thing which I believe you could of done to improve the piece would be too make sure that each shoot was in landscape so it would keep the montage consistent.

    ReplyDelete